When your car’s Engine Control Unit (car’s computer) detects a fault, the check engine light gets turn on. However, most of the time, after resolving the fault, the check engine light automatically gets turn off. But if the check engine light does not go away even after fixing the issue, it means you will need to turn it off using some ways to avoid any future complication.
Here, we are sharing some tips and tricks that will help you turn off check engine light.
How to Reset Check Engine Light: 4 Easy Tricks You Must Try
Method #1. Using an OBD Code Reader
This technique will help you resolve the issue of check engine light properly and completely. To execute this method you will need an OBD code reader. It would be great if you already have the one but if you don’t have, get the one as this is a quite inexpensive tool.
Steps needed to be followed:
- First of all, plug the code reader into the OBD connector that is located under your steering wheel portion.
- Once it is connected, turn all the gadgets present in the vehicle and then switch on your vehicle’s ignition.
- Now Press the “Enter” button to turn the code reader on. This tool will scan the engine to find out the error codes.
- Once the scanning is done, you will see the “READ” button; press this button to see the error codes of engine.
- Make a note of these error codes and decode these error codes by using the user manual. This will help you identify the exact problem. Make the changes it needs to resolve the problem.
- Once you are done, switch off the ignition and again switch it one and see if the check engine light has gone. If the problem is resolved, erase the error code from the device by pressing the “ERASE” button. But if the check engine light is still on, it means there is some major problem in your vehicle. In such a case, we would recommend you to take your vehicle to a professional.
Method #2. Battery Disconnection Technique
If you do not have a code reader, this technique can be the best way to get rid of the check engine light issue. To proceed with this technique, you will need a wrench. With the help of this tool, you will disconnect both positive and negative terminals. After disconnecting the battery leave your vehicle for 10 – 15 minutes.
After this short period of disconnection, again reconnect the cables to the battery and switch on the ignition. If your vehicle is still showing check engine light, it means there is some serious problem in your vehicle. In this case, you are advised to approach a professional mechanic before the problem gets more complicated.
Method #3. Switching On and Off Ignition
Sometimes, the check engine light gets reset automatically after switching on and off the ignition consecutively for three times. To execute this technique, you only need to put the vehicle key into the ignition and turn it on for a second and then turn off for a second. Do it repeatedly for three times.
Once it is done, see if the check engine light is still showing or not. If it has gone off that means your vehicle is perfectly okay to go. But if the check engine light is still there, the best thing you can do is making an appointment with the professional as there can be some serious issue in the vehicle.
Method #4. Let the Light Go Off By Itself
This is the easiest way to get rid of the check engine light problem. Sometimes the Engine Control Unit (ECU) automatically reset the check engine light while reassessing the problem. You just need to drive your car normally, after three days, see if the check engine light is still showing or not. If it is still there, either apply the above mentioned techniques or take your vehicle to a professional mechanic.
However, there is a high possibility of getting rid of the problem of check engine light using the above given techniques especially the technique that uses the OBD code reader. But if these techniques prove unsuccessful in resetting the check engine light, you’re highly recommended to go to a professional mechanic as this check engine light can be an indication to something really bad that may cause some serious problem. Don’t neglect it; it may cause heavy loss.